| News

Provincial and Federal Financial Resources Help Guide During COVID-19

We are all in this together.

We recognize that many of our residents may be experiencing financial hardship due to the impacts of COVID-19 on the economy and local businesses. It is important to please pay your rent if you can. However, Hollyburn is committed to working together with those who have had a reduction in hours or have become unemployed due to COVID-19 to ensure your housing is secure throughout this time of uncertainty.

As of now, financial aid programs have been implemented by both the provincial and federal governments to assist those who have been financially impacted by COVID-19.

We have compiled a help guide below to resources that you may be eligible for:

Federal Assistance:

  • Employment Insurance – Employment Insurance (EI) is available to individuals who have lost their jobs due to no fault of their own. The government has also indicated that the one-week waiting period will be waived under these circumstances.
  • Canada Emergency Support Benefit – This support plan offers financial assistance to workers who are not eligible for EI and facing unemployment due to COVID-19.
  • Canada Emergency Response Benefit (CERB) – This taxable benefit would provide $2,000 a month for up to four months for workers who lose their income as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic. Applications are now open. In order to manage the number of inquires, please see the requested schedule based on birth month below:

Provincial Assistance:

British Columbia

  • BC Emergency Benefit for Workers – The BC Provincial Government announced their own plan to offer supplementary financial assistance in the form of a one-time $1000 cheque to those who are already receiving government aid through EI or the Canada Emergency Response Benefit (CERB). Applications are set to open on May 1st, 2020. Learn more about how to apply and eligibility requirements here.
  • Temporary Rent Supplement (BC-TRS) – This “will help households by offering up to $500 a month towards their rent, building on federal and provincial financial supports already announced for British Columbians facing financial hardship.” This will be administered by BC Housing and applications are now open. You can apply for the BC-TRS here.

Additional COVID-19 Supports in BC:

  • Defer your ICBC payments for up to 90 days
  • Defer payments or access grants to help pay BC Hydro bills
  • Provincial student loan payments have been automatically frozen for 6 months


  • The Government of Alberta has also taken steps to provide additional financial support to its citizens during COVID-19. Please review these avenues here.

Additional COVID-19 Supports in AB:

  • Residential customers can postpone electricity and natural gas bill payments for the next 90 days to ensure no one will be cut off, regardless of the service provider. Learn more.
  • Provincial student loan payments have been automatically frozen for 6 months


Additional COVID-19 Supports in ON:

  • Provincial student loan payments have been automatically frozen for 6 months

If you are a Hollyburn resident experiencing COVID-19-related financial challenges and have recently been placed on EI or government support, please contact us at [email protected] to discuss. Please be assured we will be working with our residents on a case by case basis to ensure your housing is secure.

The ongoing health and safety of our communities remains our top priority. We want to thank you for your continued residency and for working with us to keep our communities protected and in good health.

To learn more about what Hollyburn is doing and how you can help, click here.

Find your Next Home

You’ve picked your city. You have a budget. And you’re ready to explore available apartments for rent. Starting your search with Hollyburn is a great way to find a suite you’re guaranteed to love!

Find an Apartment

Join Our Mailing List