We are all in this together.
We recognize that many of our residents may be experiencing financial hardship due to the impacts of COVID-19 on the economy and local businesses. It is important to please pay your rent if you can. However, Hollyburn is committed to working together with those who have had a reduction in hours or have become unemployed due to COVID-19 to ensure your housing is secure throughout this time of uncertainty.
As of now, financial aid programs have been implemented by both the provincial and federal governments to assist those who have been financially impacted by COVID-19.
We have compiled a help guide below to resources that you may be eligible for:
- Employment Insurance – Employment Insurance (EI) is available to individuals who have lost their jobs due to no fault of their own. The government has also indicated that the one-week waiting period will be waived under these circumstances.
- Emergency Support Benefit – This support plan offers financial assistance to workers who are not eligible for EI and facing unemployment due to COVID-19.
- Canada Emergency Response Benefit – This taxable benefit would provide $2,000 a month for up to four months for workers who lose their income as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic. Applications will be accessible through a secure web portal starting in early April, please continue to check here for updates.
- Emergency Benefit for Workers – The BC Provincial Government announced their own plan to offer supplementary financial assistance in the form of a one-time $1000 cheque, to those who are already receiving government aid through EI or the Emergency Support Benefit above.
- Temporary Rent Supplement – This “will help households by offering up to $500 a month towards their rent, building on federal and provincial financial supports already announced for British Columbians facing financial hardship.”
- The Government of Alberta has also taken steps to provide additional financial support to its citizens during COVID-19. Please review these avenues here.
- Employment Standards Amendment Act (Infectious Disease Emergencies) – Ontario has implemented this to provide job-protected leave to employees in isolation or quarantine due to COVID-19.
- Ontario’s Action Plan: Responding to COVID-19 – This release documents additional health care resources and available support for people, jobs, and employers that the province has implemented in response to COVID-19.
- Toronto Rent Bank – The Toronto Rent Bank may be able to supply further financial assistance as well, permitting you meet their qualifications.
If you are a Hollyburn resident experiencing COVID-19-related financial challenges and have recently been placed on EI or government support, please contact us at [email protected] to discuss. Please be assured we will be working with our residents on a case by case basis to ensure your housing is secure.
The ongoing health and safety of our communities remains our top priority. We want to thank you for your continued residency and for working with us to keep our communities protected and in good health.