The Handyperson will contribute to Hollyburn’s goals by performing a variety of duties to maintain, repair, renovate and enhance Hendry House, our residential rental building in the West End’s vibrant Davie Village. This position will also assist at other buildings in our portfolio from time to time as needed.
Key Duties & Responsibilities:
- Paints interior and exterior walls and trim using paint and painting tools;
- Maintains and assist with minor repairs to buildings’ plumbing and electrical systems, including replacing worn or defective parts, such as switches and fuses, and installs electrical features;
- Performs carpentry repairs and maintenance, such as replacing, cupboards, locks on doors and windows, and repairing railings;
- Performs routine repairs and maintenance to unit stoves and fridges, such as replacing elements, switches, timers, thermostats and gaskets, and resolving heating problems in units such as replacing zone valves, thermostats, transformers, motors and electronic controls;
- Installs toilets, sinks and performs basic plumbing;
- Performs door installations;
- Performs drywall duties including patching, mudding, and sanding;
- Assist with demolition in advance of renovation;
- Replaces worn or damaged parts, such as hoses, wiring, and belts in machines and equipment;
- Troubleshoots and perform minor electrical repairs and maintenance;
- Assists with various grounds maintenance duties;
- Performs any other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Completion of High School Diploma;
- Minimum of 2-3 years of maintenance or related experience;
- Training and experience in the safe use of power and hand tools;
- Previous WHMIS training and experience working with hazardous chemicals;
- Able to be flexible, self-motivated and take initiative;
- Able to work independently and in a team environment where mutual support is essential;
- Able to work and accomplish tasks without direct supervision;
- Able to plan and organize work efficiently and effectively;
- Able to perform physical work including bending, stooping, kneeling, pushing, pulling and lifting up to 50lbs;
- Able to follow safe work procedures to keep self and others safe while operating various power and hand tools as well as handling hazardous chemicals;
- Able to work in variable environments including dust, warm or cold temperatures, etc.;
- Able to perform skilled construction and maintenance tasks such as drywall, tile, basic plumbing and electrical;
- Must have good understanding of the English language. This includes both written and verbal communication skills.
Hollyburn Properties offers accommodation, competitive wages and benefits. If you are interested, please submit your resume and salary expectations to [email protected] We thank all those who apply, but only qualified candidates may be contacted.